The best way to achieve a good night’s sleep is by using the right pillow.
Do you wake up sore with neck, shoulder, and back pain? Do you need a spinal alignment? Are you always looking for the most comfortable position in bed to nod off? Does your partner hog your pillow? If you answered yes, it may be time for an upgrade.
If you’ve been searching for a better pillow, you’ve come to the right place. We have a list of the best orthopedic pillows in the market right now.
The Best Orthopaedic Pillows of 2021
1. Ecosafeter Contour Memory Foam Orthopaedic Pillow
Ecosafeter has raised the bar with its newly designed Contour Memory Foam Pillow.
Designed to be used for both sleeping and sitting, the pillow is made with high-density memory foam that lets you sleep on your side or back. Memory foam helps to contour your body shape, thus boosting the comfort of your sleep.
- Comfortably sleeps on your neck, back, or abdomen.
- This patented Contour Pillow stabilizes the neck and head.
- Relieves neck pain and eliminates tossing and turning throughout the night.
- Stays cool during sleep.
- Very durable because of its premium-grade materials, tested to last years.
- Affordable compared to other pillows with a similar design.
- The pillow is relatively heavier compared to other pillows because of the quality materials used to make it. This may be a problem for people who are always on the move or do not like carrying things around wherever they go especially if you plan to bring them over your travels.
2. Bedsure Orthopaedic Pillow
Bedsure has crafted a set of pillows that make you comfortable in your sleep.
The pillows are made with premium-grade materials and come with different size contours to fit your body. Designed to stabilize the neck and head, the pillows allow proper curves that can help you sleep better on your side or back comfortably.
- Comfortable posture as compared to other pillows.
- Provides excellent support for neck and head.
- Comes in 2 sizes depending on how thick you would like the pillow to be.
- Made with premium-grade materials; very durable and suitable for everyday use (the rest remained on top of it daily).
- Has a better shape and support compared to regular pillows.
- Affordable price.
- Although the pillow is made with quality materials, there were reports from some customers who said they experienced mild body aches after hours of continuous usage. This may be a sign of your body telling you that it already has enough rest, and you need to move around after a few hours of sleep with this pillow. If you are sensitive to body aches or health problems, consult your doctor first before using this pillow.
3. Grehome Memory Foam Pillow
Grehome is a best-selling brand name for memory foam pillows.
The company has been manufacturing premium quality pillows since the year 2000 and has received great acclaim from its customers for making their sleep more comfortable.
- Great posture while sleeping.
- Provides the proper support that you need while sleeping.
- Helps to alleviate neck pain and prevents tossing and turning throughout the night.
- The pillow comes with body-friendly materials and is made with high-quality memory foam, tested to last for years.
- Some customers complained about their pillows losing their firmness after a few months of usage. If you want a pillow that can remain firm throughout the years, this may not be the best choice for you.
- Another customer reported that he used the pillow for a few months and decided to switch back to a regular one just because of its inability to mold into his body contour when sleeping on his side. This may also depend on your sleeping position since it is designed for both sleeping and sitting positions.
4. The Comfort Zone Memory Foam Orthopaedic Pillow
The orthopedic memory foam pillow from The Comfort Zone by Dr’s Forma is made with premium-grade materials and will provide you with firm support while you’re sleeping.
The pillows come in three sizes ranging from 1 inch to 2 inches, making them suitable for all body types.
- Comfortable posture when sleeping.
- Provides excellent support for the neck, head, and shoulder.
- Due to the contoured design of the pillow, it helps to eliminate tossing and turning throughout the night.
- Comes with solid straps that provide strong support while sleeping on either side or back. This also aids in preventing neck pain or other spinal disorders that may occur while sleeping on your side or back during your slumber.
- Has a firm memory foam center to provide the ideal support while sleeping.
- Affordable price compared to other similar design pillows.
- One customer complained that the straps provided were too short for his body type. If you have a wider frame, this may be a problem since you will not get the correct contour while using this pillow.
5. MARNUR Cervical Memory Foam Orthopaedic Pillow
One of the most widespread orthopedic pillows in the market right now is the MARNUR Cervical pillow.
The pillow is designed to support your neck and head while sleeping on your side or back. It reduces tossing and turning; therefore, letting you sleep better.
- Comfortable design that contours to your body shape.
- Makes you feel fresh after a good night’s sleep because of its cooling effect.
- Helps to reduce neck and shoulder pain and works for both men and women.
- Offers a firm memory foam that contours with your body shape, which also improves blood circulation and relieves tension in the neck and shoulders.
- Provides the proper support for your neck and head.
- Affordable price as compared to other similar design pillows.
- One customer complained that it was too low for him, and since he has a larger frame, he had to sleep with his legs on the pillow. This may be a problem if you’re looking for a pillow that will provide you with proper support and contours to your body even if you sleep on your back.
What Is an Orthopedic Pillow?
These pillows are made to provide support specifically for the head, neck, shoulders, and back.
They’re perfect for those who want to sleep without pain or discomfort. If you’re suffering from neck pain, these pillows are a great option to help you soothe your muscles so you can rest assured that your pain is being taken care of.
The foam inside them makes them perfect for side or back sleepers, so they don’t disrupt your breathing at all. Many of the pillows on this list are also machine washable, making it easy to clean them after each use, ensuring that you have one that’s truly comfortable to use.
There are three major types of pillows that you can buy. The first is orthopedic memory foam, the second is orthopedic pillows made of latex, and the third is even made of organic materials. The organic ones are great options if you need them for your pets.
Memory Foam Pillow
These pillows are made from a memory foam material. The foam is a material created from a polymer, which makes it an excellent option for those who need a pillow that doesn’t swell as you sleep or as time passes.
The reason this type of pillow is referred to as “orthopedic” is that it’s made to support your neck and shoulders as you sleep. This means it helps take pressure off those two parts to ensure that your body gets the rest it needs.
Memory foam pillows are great for those who can’t fall asleep unless they have some cushioning underneath them.
Latex pillows are another option for those who need a pillow that supports their neck while they sleep. This type of pillow is great for back and side sleepers because it’s made flexible and moldable, so it can conform to your shape as you move around your bed.
This material is referred to as “orthopedic” because latex is a material that rarely goes flat, which means that you can use this for many years without it going flat, moldy, or discolored.
Latex pillows are a great solution to insomnia or if you can’t fall asleep at night.
Organic pillows offer you the comfort of memory foam core in a completely organic, natural way.
This is really great when you have pets because your dog or cat can’t break these pillows in half.
One of the best options when it comes to organic pillows is one made with buckwheat hulls. This material is completely safe for you and your pets to sleep on without any sort of allergies or irritation.
The buckwheat hulls help provide support and cushioning so you don’t feel any kind of pain as you sleep.
- Firm Orthopedic Pillow – This type of pillow is the firmest type available. You can use them for any sleep position or if you need extra support while you sleep.
- Medium Orthopedic Pillow – This pillow is great for side sleepers and back sleepers because it offers great support while still remaining comfortable enough to be used regularly without causing any problems.
- Soft Orthopedic Pillow – For those who are just looking for something that’s soft enough to be comfortable, yet supportive enough to take off the pressure, this pillow is a great option. It’s also good if you’re just looking for something that’s easy on your skin so you don’t have to worry about rashes or allergies when you sleep.
- Extra Soft Orthopedic Pillow – If you’re just looking for something that’s soft enough to be comfortable, yet supportive enough to take off the pressure, this pillow is a great option. It’s also good if you’re just looking for something that’s easy on your skin so you don’t have to worry about rashes or allergies when you sleep.
The softest pillows are a great choice for those who need a little extra support while they sleep. If you have back pain, this type of pillow is a great option since it won’t cause any more pain as it provides your head and neck support as you fall asleep.
Be sure to look for the top level of support for your needs. If you need a soft pillow, you can still find one that’s not too firm for your needs. The key is to find the right level of comfort that fits you best.
Orthopedic pillows come in a variety of shapes.
- Regular Shape
The most common type of pillow is the regular shape pillows. They’re made to fit comfortably underneath your neck as you sleep. These are available in all different sizes to fit your needs, whether you need something that’s large enough for your king-size bed, twin-size bed, or something in between.
- J-Shape Orthopedic Pillow
These pillows are another option for those who need more support. The J-shaped pillow is great for side sleepers because it helps keep their spine straight while they sleep. They’re also a great option if you suffer from shoulder pain as they relieve pressure from those two parts as you sleep.
- Queen Size Orthopedic Pillow
A queen-size pillow is a great option for anyone who suffers from back and neck pain and needs to stay comfortable while they sleep. These pillows come in different levels of firmness so you can find one that fits your level of comfort and support.
- Large Orthopedic Pillow
If you need more support than what’s offered by the regular shape pillow, these pillows are the perfect choice for you. They’re made to help support your head and neck as well as your shoulders, which makes them an excellent solution for those who need extra support while they sleep.
- Extra Large Orthopedic Pillow
If you need extra comfort and support, these pillows are a great option. They’re larger than the regular shape pillow and offer even more support.
- Soft Orthopedic Pillow. When you buy a soft orthopedic pillow, the warranty ranges from 1 – 5 years.
- Hard Orthopedic Pillow. Your hard orthopedic pillow is going to have a longer warranty since it’s made with better materials that won’t go flat as you sleep. The most common option is a 5 – 10 year warranty.
Orthopedic pillows are not cheap, especially if you’re looking for one that has memory foam or latex in it. These materials are more expensive to manufacture, which means that you’re going to pay slightly more for your pillow. Average price:
- Regular Shape: £15 – £30
- J Shape: £22 – £60
- Large: £11 – £30
- Extra Large: £25 –£75
Tips on Choosing the Right Pillow
1. Know What Type of Pillow You Need
If you have back pain or shoulder pain, you need a soft orthopedic pillow. These are the best type of pillows to give you the support that’s needed to relieve those two parts. If you’re looking for something that’ll take pressure off your shoulders, this is also a great option.
2. Consider How Firm You Want Your PILLOW TO BE
When you buy a pillow, it’s important to consider how firm it’s going to be. If you want something firm enough to take pressure off your shoulders, but soft enough for comfort, look for the size of a medium-firm pillow instead of a firm one. If you need more support, go with a firmer option.
3. Take Your Budget Into Consideration
Pillows that have memory foam or latex in them are going to be more expensive than those that have other materials in them. The price usually varies depending on the quality of materials used. If you’re looking for a pillow with these materials, you’re going to need a larger budget to pay for it.
4. Check Reviews to See If You Are Buying The Best PILLOW FOR YOU
Orthodeadic pillows come in all different shapes and sizes so it’s important to look at reviews before you buy one so you can see what other people think about the item you’re thinking about purchasing. It’s always a good idea to ask around about the various different types of orthopedic pillows so you can find what will best suit your needs.
5. Sleeping positions
If you’re looking for a soft orthopaedic pillow, you want to check to see if your sleeping position allows the pillow to be supportive enough for you.
- Side sleepers need a firm orthopedic pillow that will support their head and neck. If they need more than that, they should purchase an extra-large model.
- Back sleepers need a soft orthopedic pillow that will take pressure off of their spine as they fall asleep. If they’re looking for something with memory foam or latex in it, this is the type of pillow that’s best for them because it’ll give them the support and comfort that they need at night.
- Chest and stomach sleepers need to get a softer pillow that will support their head and neck while they sleep. They should look for a medium-firm option or upper body option that will be perfect for them.
The covers of pillows are going to be the first thing you’ll use on a regular basis. And since they’re a fabric that’s going to be used for a very long time, this needs to be a durable and removable cover. We suggest trying a pillow protector as well if you have one in mind, so it’ll do a few things:
- Protects the pillow from spills when you’re sleeping.
- Protects your pillows from dust when you’re not using them.
- Makes the fabric of the pillow last longer.
Pillow outer cover also comes in different sizes and materials (e.g., bamboo cover), so if you have one in mind, just pick out one that will fit your existing pillow perfectly without being too tight or too loose. It’ll make it a lot easier to take care of as well as it won’t slip off of your pillow as easily.
A removable washable cover will make it easier for you to keep your pillow clean because you can put the cover in the washing machine by itself. It won’t get damaged when you wash it, which is another perk.
Testing and certification
The testing and certification that goes into making an orthopedic pillow ensure that it’s comfortable, supportive to your body, and won’t go flat.
You’ll want to look for products that are certified by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA), which is a well-known association.
They test all of their products to ensure they meet industry standards so you know you’re purchasing a safe product.
Which support pillow is best for neck and shoulder pain?
The answer to this question will depend on the type of orthopedic pillow you have in mind.
If you have a lot of money to spend on a pillow, then you’ll get the best results from one that has memory foam or latex in it because they’re made with better materials that won’t flatten out as quickly as others do.
If you’re looking for something that’s not going to cost a lot, then you’ll get good results from a soft orthopedic pillow.
If your neck pain is due to what position you sleep in and not necessarily anything wrong with the quality of your pillow, then we suggest trying this simple trick:
- Take a look at the pillow you have in mind.
- Flip it over, so that the smooth side is facing down.
- Take a look at the cover of the pillow and see if there are any indentations on top of your head from when you slept with it on your head during the day. That means you were lying on your neck which in turn puts extra stress on it when you sleep in that position, which will, in turn, cause more pain when you wake up.
- Flip your pillow over so that the rough side is on top.
- Your pillow should feel different when you sleep with it this way. Put in some extra effort into changing the position in which you sleep in order to get relief from your neck pain.
- If you need a new pillow, make sure to get one that will make sure you don’t end up turning it over again.
Maintainance and care
Keep your pillow in good condition by keeping it clean.
I. Regular Shape
Regular pillows are easy to take care of. You can wash them in the washing machine with cold water by itself so you don’t damage the structure.
If you’ve bought a bigger orthopedic pillow, try adding an old pillowcase to it if you don’t want to put it in the washer since it might not fit through the door.
II. J Shape
These pillows are a little harder to take care of as you can’t put them in the washer as easily as you can with regular pillows.
If you’re looking for what type of cleaning solution to use, we suggest trying a mild detergent and cold water (just like in the regular shape pillows). If you want to avoid that altogether, then try spot-cleaning it instead.
These pillows are also hard to take care of since washing them isn’t easy.
The best way to clean them is by spot cleaning (just like the j shape pillows) or vacuuming them.
IV. Extra Large
The same rules apply here as they do for the large and J-shape pillows: spot clean with either cold water and a mild soap or vacuum it instead.
Customers who have purchased orthopedic pillows often give them high praise for how well they’ve worked for them.
They love how it helped them get rid of their neck pain and gave their body the support it needed to sleep comfortably.
The type of pillow you choose will likely come down to your budget, but don’t let that stop you from getting one if you know it’s what you need to get rid of your neck pain.
Try some out online (or at your local store) and see which ones will work the best for you.
Q. What is a cervical pillow?
A. This type of pillow is made especially to support your neck while you’re sleeping. They’re usually a lot bigger than regular pillows, which allows you to use them in a number of different positions while still getting the support that you need.
Q. What is the difference between cervical pillows and regular ones?
A. The biggest difference between these two types of pillows is their size and shape. Cervical pillows are often much larger than regular ones, which gives them more room to move around so you can sleep comfortably in whatever position suits your body best.
Q. How many pillows should I have in my bed?
A. This will depend on your body type and sleep habits. People who sleep on their sides or who sleep with their legs hanging off the side of the bed may need more than one pillow to ensure that they’re sleeping on a firm surface that will keep their spine from being injured by the mattress.
The best orthopedic pillows are designed to help you get relief from pain, especially if it’s back pain. These pillows also give you the support that you need for your head and neck while sleeping.
Any of the pillows discussed in this article would make a great investment since they’ll give you the quality of sleep needed to get rid of your neck pain, especially if it’s back or shoulder-related.